Wednesday 24 November 2010

THE WOODEN LAMP COMPANY - started with a screw loose!
It was four years since I had opened my lighting shop and it wasn’t the first time that I had been told to discard a light because of a blemish or damage in transit.  This time it was slightly different; all it needed was a tiny grub screw that was missing and yet the supplier was adamant that they didn’t have the spare part and that the floor lamp should just be ‘chucked’ and a replacement would be on its way.

Although I wouldn't class myself as an Eco Hero there seemed to be something ridiculously immoral about this attitude and tons of steel being needlessly dumped throughout the country.  This frustration, coupled with the growing realisation that many of my customers were increasingly searching for something individual and different led to the birth of The Wooden Lamp Company.  Our new website is http://www.thewoodenlampcompany.co.uk/

I found my customers increasingly moving away from the mass produced and searching for lamps and lighting that was more individual;  After all, apart from the effect that lighting gives, the actual shape and colour of a lamp itself can be a design piece in its own right.  A pair of beautiful bedside table lamps with unique and interesting lamp shades can lift a simple bedroom, or a painted wooden lamp in the corner of a family kitchen can add warmth and a focal interest.

As I am originally an interior designer, I decided to create my own range of wooden lamps made from sustainable mango and rubber woods and couple them with a lush selection of shades made from individually selected designer fabrics.  So should they be classed as lamps or design accessories?

Both really, when they are bought with a plain shade for example, they will merge more into the background as a stylish lamp, but some of the bright colours with zingy fabric shades are quite a statement in their own right and will brighten up any drab corner.

So in October we launched our lamps at Grand Designs Live in Birmingham with great success and many positive comments.  I think our favourite was that they were 'Happy Lamps' which, to our minds just about sums it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment